Sunday 8 March 2015

Assault on Northshire

Well, I must have fallen asleep last night, because I woke up this morning to the sound of the church bell. Which was weird, because today isn't a church day.

There was a lot of shouting, too, so I threw on some clothes and rushed outside to see what was going on. The Marshal was outside the church, yelling orders at everyone. When I asked him what was going on, he shouted "Orcs! Get yourself to safety, girl!" I don't know if he noticed the look I gave him, but after a pause, he added "If you think you can help out, grab a sword from the rack, and go clear out some of those orcs and their wolves."

The only sword left was almost as tall as I am. I certainly hope that the one my cousin sends is a little more my size.

I must have handled myself well enough, because I killed several orcs myself, and by the time I was done, I had been called on to help with a group of goblins that had snuck in the back, and to help recover any survivors that had fallen from the surprise attack.

Once the attackers were routed, everyone that was still fighting fit reported back to the Marshal, just in time for us to see one of the hands from the vineyard across the creek to come running up.
She was dripping wet, as if she'd come straight across the creek, rather than detouring to the bridge, and where she wasn't soaked, she was covered in soot.

She told us that the orcs' leader had brought forces into the vineyard, and they were torching the fields! They must have already set almost everything on fire, because we could see the glow of the fire, even through the trees between. We were told to grab whatever we could find to put out the fires, to kill any orcs we found while over there, and to kill their leader in hopes that that would break the morale of any orcs left.

Fighting that close to what's practically a bonfire is harder than you'd think. But we did it! We found and killed their leader, put out the fires, and drove off the rest of the orcs.

I don't think that they'll be able to harvest anything this year, and it'll take months to repair all the damage to the buildings.

Maybe I shouldn't have complained about Northshire being boring. Bored is better than all the people who were injured. Or killed.

No comments:

Post a Comment